Complete Counts Internship
The Omaha–Council Bluffs Metropolitan Area Planning Agency (MAPA) is a regional council of governments created to provide a forum for coordinating local planning and development activities. MAPA will be assisting the City of Omaha and Douglas County with coordinating 2020 Census Complete Count Committees (CCC). This will include coordinating local partners and outreach activities which provide an opportunity for everyone to be counted. CCC will utilize local knowledge, influence, and resources to educate communities and promote the census through locally based outreach efforts.
The intern who fills this position should expect to be involved in all aspects of the project. Applicants to this position should have excellent organizational and communication skills, demonstrate creativity, and understand attention to detail.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with coordination and communication for the Complete Counts Committees for the 2020 Census.
- Help prepare and implement the Complete Counts action plans.
- Assist with coordinating events and outreach. Communicate details with committee members, partners, and the general public.
- Prepare for, attend, and create minutes for meetings of the Complete Counts Committee.
- Provide communications support, to include but not limited to social media, email blasts, blog posts, and mailings.
- Work in close coordination with Census staff to provide communication between community organizers and Census field workers.
- Compile group meeting lists and contacts. Assist with committee updates in database.
- Organize data in spreadsheets and/or charts.
- Excellent verbal communication skills and the ability to interact with diverse populations.
- Preference given to bilingual candidates.
- Attention to detail is a must. Must have strong organizational skills and be a self-starter. Ability to work independently and with limited supervision, establish priorities, handle multiple tasks, and meet deadlines required.
- Must have the ability to quickly adapt and re-prioritize as needed
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office applications. Basic knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud, WordPress or CMS is preferred.
The position is open to those nearing completion of a bachelor’s degree or working on a master’s degree in one of these programs: Public Relations, Marketing, Communications, Journalism, Urban Studies, Sustainability, Public Administration, Multidisciplinary Studies or closely related field.
Anticipated starting wage: $12.00 – $14.00 per hour for 20 hours per week. MAPA reserves the right to hire at an appropriate level. MAPA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Position will remain open until filled.
The internship is expected to start the week of June 3, 2019 and last until approximately July 15, 2020.
“Moving Forward” Newsletter: Late Fall 2023 edition
MAPA FY2025 Call for Projects
Regional Planning Affiliation-18 Call for Projects
2023 MAPA Annual Awards announced at Annual COO Meeting