MAPA serves as the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO), or Transportation Management Area (TMA) for Douglas and Sarpy Counties in Nebraska and the western-most portion of Pottawattamie County (i.e., the area generally south of Crescent and Underwood and west of L-52). An MPO is an organization which forms policy on transportation issues and is mandated and funded by the federal government. The formation of an MPO is required for any urbanized area in the United States with a population greater than 50,000.
As an MPO, MAPA regularly produces these five primary work items:
- Long Range Transportation Plan (25-year transportation plan)
- Transportation Improvement Program (six-year program)
- Unified Planning Work Program (annual description of work activities)
- Public Participation Plan (public outreach philosophy and document guides)
- Civil Rights Plan (special outreach and considerations for high minority areas, limited English proficiency, and ADA)