Now Hiring: Disaster Recovery Planner
The Omaha-Council Bluffs Metropolitan Area Planning Agency is looking for a qualified planning and disaster recovery professional to provide recovery and planning assistance for MAPA area communities.
Specific areas of work include: grant writing and project administration; coordinating buyout and demolition of disaster damaged homes; and implementing other disaster recovery activities.
This is a grant funded position that is approved for at least two years with a possibility of a longer duration depending on approved future projects.
MAPA is the Council of Governments serving a six-county MAPA region (Cass, Douglas, Sarpy and Washington Counties in Nebraska and Mills and Pottawattamie Counties in Iowa). MAPA performs work related to planning, community development, and transportation and other issues of regional significance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide planning and project management assistance in the operation of a state and federally funded program designed to identify, buyout and demolish disaster damaged homes and businesses in MAPA area communities.
- Prepare notices of interest and grant applications for member communities for funding of hazardous mitigation programs and flood buyouts.
- Employ methods of data collection, data analysis, financial monitoring, and preparation of required reports on projects to regulatory agencies.
- Assist with administration and oversight of recovery activities, including purchases, relocations, demolitions and environmental mitigation.
- Serve as liaison to city and county representatives, state/federal officials, contractors, and the public.
- Use knowledge of principles, practices and techniques of disaster recovery planning and land use regulations.
- Conduct field evaluations and assessments.
- Prepare and maintain a variety of logs and reports relating to projects, work assignments and inspection activities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in community and regional planning, public administration, urban studies or a relevant degree and one to two years of direct or related planning and disaster recovery experience.
- Qualified candidates with other relevant skillsets such as project management, real estate, legal, etc. will be considered.
- Experience with Hazard Mitigation Grants and Community Development Block Grant programs is a plus.
- Familiarity with planning, community and disaster recovery programs, and project administration is a plus.
- Must have strong organizational skills and the ability to prepare and interpret quantitative data. Ability to work independently and with limited supervision, establish priorities, handle multiple tasks, and meet deadlines required.
- Good written and verbal communications skills and ability to work effectively with internal/external customers required.
MAPA reserves the right to hire at an appropriate level. This position will be filled at the Associate or Planner level based on qualifications.
MAPA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Position will remain open until filled.
Sarpy County I-80 Interchange Planning Study Request for Qualificatons (RFQ)
Now Hiring: Director of Finance and Administration
Answers to Questions regarding Clean Air Partnership Campaign RFP